How to obtain the Jubilee of Indulgence
For those able to make a pilgrimage to one of the Jubilee churches in Rome, that is certainly an option. Otherwise, there are eight churches within the Archdiocese of Toronto with a Holy Door of Mercy. Going through one of these Holy Doors is a spiritual journey that shows, as the Holy Father said, “the deep desire for true conversion.” In addition to passing through a Holy Door, each pilgrim is to:
1. receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation,
2. receive the Holy Eucharist while reflecting on God’s great gift of mercy,
3. make a profession of faith (recite either the Apostles’ or the Nicene Creed), and
4. pray for the Holy Father and for his intentions (an Our Father and a Hail Mary are recommended).
For those who are elderly, confined and the ill, Pope Francis said that they may obtain the indulgence:
1. by “living with faith and joyful hope this moment of trial” and
2. by receiving the Eucharist or by attending Mass and community prayer, “even through the various means of communication” (for instance, a Mass offered on television).
For those in prison, they may obtain the indulgence in their prison chapels.
Indulgences may be obtained for the dead by the carrying out of these same acts by the Faithful with the intention of offering the indulgence for someone who is deceased.